Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Events this Week 3/29/06

Thomas:
Thomas has figured out that it is fun to hand Momma something and then take it back. For example, if I (Momma) hold out my hand, he will hand me his cracker. He is quick to take it right back! He likes this game and repeats it over and over. The other game he likes isn't so fun for Momma. He takes something that he wants (like his pacifier) and drops it. Then he says, "Uh oh" and waits for me to get it for him.

David:
David is starting to learn his colors. His favorite color (and the one he recognized first) is Red. (Roll Tide!) He is very excited about learning his colors. Tonight as he was getting on his PJs, he pointed to the different colors on the pants saying, "This is red. This is blue." He also was quick to point out an orange truck today. When asked tonight what color truck Daddy should get one day, David said Orange. (I had an immediate image of a truck adorned with VOLS paraphernalia...it was so frightening!) (Jonathan wants Daddy to have a Green truck)

Jonathan:
Perhaps the most heart-wrenching thing that Jonathan did this week is also very touching. There was a picture in the paper of some troops that had just come home. The picture was all of the soldiers standing in formation, with one little boy to the side holding a sign that said "Welcome Home Daddy." Jonathan asked me about the picture and then insisted on making a sign for Daddy. I tried to emphasize that Daddy was not getting ready to come home. It didn't matter. He had me write out the words and he copied them and colored his sign. I did convince him that we couldn't leave it on our kitchen table until Daddy comes home. (Right now it is on our refrigerator.)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hi Jane Anne -

Ryan has become consistent with knowing his colors, too - all in the last two or three weeks. (Except orange and brown are still tricky for him.)

It was funny because at 18 months, Aaron thoguht everything was "purple", but by 23 months he knew all of his colors. Ryan hit 23 months, and I thought, "Oh no! You're 23 months, and I haven't worked with you on colors even ONCE! You poor youngest child, you!" So, I started working with him right away, and he was so stubborn. Everytime I asked what color something was, he'd say, "I don't know... what color is that?" And I'd say, "You tell me... what color is that?" and this would go back and forth - he didn't even want to try GUESSING. He wasn't going to learn colors until HE wanted to learn colors. I really thought I'd be sending him to preschool in the fall with him not knowing colors.

Then, POOF, he knew them starting two weeks ago. Almost all of them. As if he'd known them all along and was playing games with my head.